Finishing off my steps help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, well i have finished the terracing and all that is left is to put the sleeper steps in, i have attached some pics for you to see how it is now. In between each sleeper step will be a length of the half round, so i can get better height from each step. What is the best way to lay the sleepers, should excavate enough to put down some concrete and lay them on top, with maybe some screws on the underneath to sink into the concrete?

Many thanks for any help.

Gardenstep1.jpg

Gardenstep2.jpg

Sponsored Links
we simply lay each sleeper on the compacted earth and drive in 2 ich square pegs behind the sleeper. That is then fixed to the sleeper.

Thanks for the tip, got the 4 steps in today, i made up some height on each sleeper with adding a half round at the back, looks really good (if i do say so myself ;)). I had to put the pegs in at the side, did 2 each side front and back to make sure - they are not going anywhere :)

I'll get some pics up tomorrow for a critique :)

Sponsored Links
Here they are - they look a bit odd as they are not stained like the other wood - so what do you think? - come on i can take it :)

btw - side bits are still to be done, so imagine it all boxed in with the half rounds :)

steps1.jpg

steps2.jpg

steps3.jpg

told you it was easy! Im a bit concerned with the half rounds on the steps though. They may be a trip hazard when you go to put your foot down on the tread. i know it sounds daft but steps play tricks on the brain and can be very easy to cause a trip on.

Yes i thought of the trip aspect, but it's only half of the half rounds (if you get me ) showing, so your foot can't get caught under it. also they saved me a whole step :)

I was going to put some concrete down the edges as the gaps need filling, would this be ok to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back