Complaining to FENSA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anybody have any experience of making a complaint via FENSA? I had a local window company fit some windows/doors. there were problems from day 1 which have developed further & now four months on the company has stopped speaking to me! I have had the window manufacturer's warranty bloke round twice (arranged by the local window company) still problems. When I complained direct to them they told me contract was with the local company & all correspondance would be through them!

Problems were so bad at one point I could watch the curtains blow in the wind. The window manufacturer's repair technique was to take the glass out. Remove two screws, clamp window shut in the middle & wedge out of shape before re-inserting two screws in fresh holes, replace glass etc!

At present I have paid them everything less £1000, do not have a guarantee cert nor offered insurance but do have FENSA card.

Help!

P.S. Can anybody clarify whether on an opening window the inside & out side sealing rubber should seal all the way round? I assume so, otherwise why would it be there. On some of my windows they do not, you can get paper etc through them.

Any help appreciated!!!!

Sponsored Links
fensa.
mutley.gif

FENSA, from various previous posts on here, no. its not that good

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have complained to FENSA twice.

Once due to the gaps between the window and brick and subsequent cold air (I thought it breached the regulation in relation to heat loss). They were only interested if I could see daylight!!

Second time was when I realised the fitter should have fitted trickle vents, in essence I needed a photo to prove they were in the original windows, without this they could not purse e.g. his word against mine and he won.

So yes, I'd say there not that great, but I would say they are working to fairly rigid, not consumer benefitting guidlines.

Your best bet is to get a suitably qualified and experienced person to look at the installation, and do and "expert" report to comment if the installation conforms to any applicable standards and whether it is "fit for purpose.

Then you can use the report to haggle or as a basis for a compensation claim in the county court

Bead rubber gasket can have a gap to allow for expansion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back