typical footing size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is a typical width and depth of footing for a 1. single storey
2. two storey

Sponsored Links
No such thing as a "typical" width and depth as it's entirely dependent on the wall construction / thickness and ground conditions.

That said, it would not be unreasonable to expect to find a 600mm wide strip @ 1000mm (or more) deep.

If you can elaborate on your circumstances, I'm sure you will get some more focused replies.

what is a typical width and depth of footing for a 1. single storey
2. two storey

I would say 1m depth by 600mm wide is a fairly typical excavation, though not absolute.

The thickness of concrete within the trench can vary also, but usually needs to be a minimum of 225mm thick for a single story extension. More often than not we would mass fill a trench as it is financially better to do so.

I think a raft is typical for sand soils and piles typical for made up ground.

Don't plan on any typical foundation until you know what the typical ground conditions are

Sponsored Links
I think a raft is typical for sand soils and piles typical for made up ground.
For a minute there, I thought you were being a bad man; then I came to the realisation that you actually meant it!

I like to throw these things in now and again to see if the The Master is watching

The thickness of concrete within the trench can vary also, but usually needs to be a minimum of 225mm thick for a single story extension. More often than not we would mass fill a trench as it is financially better to do so.
Yeh, we know your game Nose: price for traditional and bricking up; then use trenchfill to save you money, not the client ;) :LOL:

Thanks for the replies, but my question didn't ask for what depth the footing is located at, but merely the typical width and depth of the footing itself.

Thanks for the replies, but my question didn't ask for what depth the footing is located at, but merely the typical width and depth of the footing itself.
Yes tim you're quite right, our unreserved apologises. It was breezer's fault, he was late home with crystal ball again! :LOL:

Isn't "depth of the footing" and "depth at which the footing is located at" one and the same? :confused:

Isn't "depth of the footing" and "depth at which the footing is located at" one and the same? :confused:
I think he meant the actual foundation dimensions, rather than the depth at which it's formed. Could have been unequivocal about it though :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back