New Outside Handrail to protect steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to provide a secure handrail for a patio type area near the front door with steep concrete steps to one side, to prevent anyone going over the top and down onto the steps.
Unfortunately the current brick retaining wall is only 20" high at the top end and zero the other end, as the wall follows the steps downwards. The total length will be approx 12' end to end.
The concrete steps already have a traditional style handrail ( round with underside flat), so it would seem logical to match that with a similar handrail ( although I am tempted to provide a decking style assembly).
My query is then that I need a handrail some 12' long. I have seen one in B&Q ( Richard Burbridge) which appears intended for internal stairs. Can I use one of these, treated with preserver and how many posts should I provide.
The other alternative would be to build up the existing wall , but that would mean a bricklayer and would not match the 20yr old bricks.
Advice plse

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back