Lintel material type for underground use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a small stream crossing at a right angle underneath my driveway. The original conduit was a two foot diameter concrete pipe which has crumbled at one side of the driveway. I don't have the money to hire a digger and do the job properly.

After excavating as much as I can to the side of the driveway there is a still some reduction in water flow which is only a problem during exceptionally heavy rain.

The problem which I hope I can resolve cheaply is that the driveway has lost about six inches in width over about two feet of its length. I envisage doing this by setting lintels into the ground and covering them over with gravel.

They would be above the stream but still in a damp environment so I'd appreciate advice on the choice of material. I'm considering reinforced concrete lintels, RSJs or railway sleepers but these might be subject to erosion, rusting or rotting.

Would any of these work in the long term or is there a more suitable alternative?

Sponsored Links
Steel beams, ralway sleepers, old iron bed ends etc are ok, just set them up off the bearing area and with formwork to give them a min of 100mm concrete cover all over. Poker the concrete in to get rid of voids. Steel so encased will likely see all of us out.

That was a quick reply :D

I'd have no problem covering the beams with 100mm concrete but some of their lower surface would be directly above the stream so would that leave them at any significant risk?

Sponsored Links
Or just use some precast lintels, put a blob of concrete over the ends, to potect the wires that you will see.

Thanks.

The work has to be done from above as there's very limited access to the side ( a 2.5' x 2' hole two feet deep) and any failed attempts would result in materials falling into and potentially blocking the stream.

Precast lintels would be the easiest then. I was just concerned that the concrete used in them, being intended for internal use, would probably not contain any waterproofing additive and therefore be subject to erosion.

Nah, the only thing you've got to watch is the exposure of the tendons at either end. The concrete will be fine. Even in Wales.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back