retiling a roof (scotland)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 9223 scaffold up, skip and chutes set up,front stripped felted and strapped ,ready for removal of 4 vent chimney.
back stripped and gable felted and battened out.
back felted ready for counter battens (Scottish br)
chimneys removed, twinwall gas flues installed, roof strapped out ready to be loaded.
loaded and set for tiling.
front tiled...oh and new upvc facings soffits and gutters.
kicking off the back with the junction to next doors roof.
and the back tiled.slate pieces to go round vent terminals.
gable complete.
and gutters up.
hip tiles on and front gutters up.
all done.
finished.
home time

Sponsored Links
nice bit of advertising there ;)

surprised you got away with replacing the slate with tiles?

:D i stenciled out the phone numbers on the van but it doesnt seem to have worked :cool:

planning seems to be less stringent in some parts of scotland as opposed to England! so long as the tile colour corresponds to the surrounding area.

I know what you mean re planning - we're on the east coast and just fighting with the planning dept for a extension in terms of materials to use :evil:

Sponsored Links
its a b***dy nightmare if you are in a conservation area........even worse if the building has a listing. :LOL:

exactly that problem, we're in a conservation area - whilst I don't mind having the side extension tie in with the main house in terms of materials/finishes, the planning officer has dictated what roof covering and window frame material, down to the finish colour, we have on the single storey rear extension :evil:

when i used to work for the national trust "everything" had to be like for like, sourcing the proper materials was a national if not global exercise.

modern building materials was a no no jewsons was regarded as a swear word
:) . guys from Glasgow university used to come and oversee particularly sensitive parts of any restoration works, you know the type flared checked trousers, goattee beards, and john lennon specs...........favourite saying ooh you cant do that :confused:
any project used to take about a" month" a week to plan, a week talking about it, a further week looking at it, the rest of the time seeking permissions and saying you cant do that........and the next couple of hours replacing the floorboard.

got to preserve our national treasures you know str........your house included. :eek: :D

nice bit of advertising there ;)
Nice advertising indeed. I'm in the process of buying a property in the area which is need of amongst many things, some roofing work. Alastair, I'll give you a call once the sale goes through.

8) it worked :cool:

no problem thedayisnapped you have my number :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back