Leaking Shower Screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wondered if anyone had an ideas on a leaking shower screen.

It's driving me mad!

I admit I'm no great DIY'er... I can paper and paint and basics like that.

I had lot of building work done on my house and had a new bathroom fitted.

A while later I had a new shower and glass screen put in.

It leaks all the time, the floor is soaking wet again today.

It has been sealed by tradesmen several times but still seems to leak.

Any ideas from anyone on a cure?

Thanks

Libby

Sponsored Links
If your shower screen has been siliconed from the inside thats more than likely your problem . If so remove all the sealant from the inside of the screen ans seal ONLY on the outside , See if this does the trick.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip...

Someone did tell me that maybe the bath was put in on a slight 'slant' downwards. Nothing you would notice, but enough so that the water ran behind the taps.

Does that make sense to you? Would re-sealing the outside as you suggest help do you think?

The next man I get will have to have the criteria of 'good at DIY' !

The floor is soaking and I cant use the shower so have to find a solution.

Regards

Liv

Have you actually identified where the water is coming from? Dry it all with a towel, turn it on and see where water is escaping.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I've just done that and its escaping from the bottom of the join where the fixing is and also under the flap' of plastic under the actual glass that sits on the bath..

Regards

Liv

Think the best thing would be to take it all off (wall bracket and all), dry it off completely and rehang it. I would say exactly vertical, but since the bath isn't level, so you describe, you need to hang it so it rests along the side rim of the bath.. Then run silicon along the outside of where the bracket meets the wall. Will be easier to do if you have a friend to help ;)

What's the bath shaped like where the screen sits on it?

Some baths don't have a very good profile for a shower screen.

May I ask? Not quite the same problem, but why seal only on the outside? I have a fixed screen round a walk-in tray and will shortly be resealing 'cos the tray is moving.

May I ask? Not quite the same problem, but why seal only on the outside? I have a fixed screen round a walk-in tray and will shortly be resealing 'cos the tray is moving.

If you seal both the inner and outer edges, then should any water get in (it shouldn't but has a habit of doing so anyway :confused: ) then it will not escape so easily and you have a damp area festering away with usual mold issues etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back