Tree for my garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
i am overlooked in my garden by the house behind me and i am looking for a tree that will not grow too big but will offer some privacy. the house behind me has two bedroom windows and they can see straight into my garden. i dont want a tree that will grow too big and too tall. ideally a tree that will grow fast and provide some shade over the six feet fence and give me some privacy
thanks

Sponsored Links
get your own back, sit in your garden and look at their window.

I can see into all my neighbours gardend, like wise my neighbours can ee into mine.
none of us sit and stare, and nothing much happens (apart from the time one set fire to his trees, when we all watched)
I really woulddnt worry about it (unless you have something to hide or sunbathe in the nude)

Sponsored Links
thanks breezer. i still need to plant that tree. sunbathing is supposed to be private, you know.ha haa .i am still determined to find the right tree.

Trees that grow fast usually grow tall, so your problem has no instant solution.

The quickest way to provide cover while you're waiting for your smaller tree to grow is to grow buddleja davidii. Lots of different varieties 'Black Knight' dark purple, 'Dartmoor' lilac, 'Pink Delight', 'White Profusion', 'Sungold' yellow, 'Fortune' lilac. Although they should be pruned in about March, you can let them go, provided they are stable at the roots. If possible, cut off the flowers before they seed, or the garden will be overgrown with them. Once your tree is getting bigger then you can easily get rid of the buddlejas.

Trees :
Sorbus hupehensis 'Pink Pagoda' (mountain ash/rowan)
Sorbus hostii (about 12ft) (mountain ash/rowan)
Sorbus 'Sheerwater Seedling' (mountain ash/rowan)
Sorbus 'commixta'
Sorbus 'pendula'
Crataegus laevigata 'Paul's Scarlet' (hawthorn)
Pyrus salicifolia 'Pendula' (ornamental weeping pear)
Cotoneaster salicifolius 'Exburyensis' (grown as a tree)
Cotoneaster 'Cornubia' - buy as a half-standard tree appx 2m £30
Prunus Kidu-Shidare Sakura (Cheal's weeping cherry)
Google each variety to assess its suitablity for your site, soil and garden size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back