Replacing Cast Iron Gutter Brackets - how to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just moved into a property that has Cast Iron Guttering. The brackets holding the gutters seem to disappear into the wall - at the point where the wall ends and the roof (slate tiles) begins. I'm trying to work out how I can get access to these brackets to remove them - since access to the roof space is not possible.
I want to get these old brackets off so that I can fit new brackets and guttering.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
a photo would be better!
but i think the fixings you are describing are rhone hooks.
if it is you would access them via the roof by lifting a tile/slates directly over the hook where you will find they are nailed directly onto the roof truss.
they are fixed to the truss with 2 sometimes 3 nails/ remove the nails and the hook will slide under the gutter.
replace them one at a time.
cast gutters fittings and fixings are less common than they used to be! though you can still get them if you look.
there are 2 common sizes for cast gutters 4.5 and 5" make sure you get the right size.

just noticed you are in aberdeen..........the hooks will be nailed onto the sarkin. not that it makes any difference really ;)

Thanks for the information. This is most helpful.

I have slate tiles - I've never lifted them or moved them before.
I'm not sure about the best way to remove these to get access to the gutter brackets (and of course put the tiles back again)

I'll see if I can upload a picture in a moment.

Sponsored Links
yes rhone hooks.4.5"

slide the slates above the hook 2nd course apart, then remove the slate below and possibly the undereave slate to gain access to the rhone hook.
remove the hook and replace.
replace the slates in the same positions they came from.
have some spare slates on standby in case of breakages.
try and refrain from stressing the gutter as this will break the putty joints.

and the slates are called ballachulish.............last forever.. :p

I'll just wait for it to stop snowing ..... this might be a while yet!! and then I'll get started :cool:

Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back