Planning Permission for Detached Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can somebody please advice if planning permission or building regulation necessary for converting a section of existing detached garage into an entertainment room?
Garage is approximately 48square metres and is about 30m from the main building.
Plan is to convert one part of the garage into a gym/cinema room and leave the rest as a single car garage.
I have read planningportal and couldnt figure out whether any legal stuff was necessary or not.

I have not yet started the job, but planning to do so in next couple of weeks.

Can somebody please advice?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Planning, unlikely

B/regs, certainly

You may want to check for any specific conditions on the original planning permission for the property, to make sure that there are no conditions requiring you to keep it as a double garage.

Hi ^woody^,

thanks very much for your reply. much appreciated.

i have checked my property documents and i cannot find anything on there that stipulates a restriction on changing the double garage.
only thing i can find is that a planning permission application for constructing double garage way back in 1975.

with regards to building reqs, do you think its necessary to get one even though i am not planning to build new drainage or anything of that sort?

thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
You are creating a habitable room, in the same way as any other garage conversion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back