Blown render and consiquent damp problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I have a real issue with my external walls, they are blowing like mad now and cracked and crazed badly. In fact this is now starting to effect the internal walls

The house in an 1860s end of terrace and was re-rendered only 8 years ago and has been sat with a coat of Whetherproof paint on it for 5 or so since then, no I haven't repainted it since and yes I do feel silly now

I have had a quote from a local company to use a product called Treatexwall which is certified to stay on for 15 years. I know its not a traditional finish but there is a house over the road with stone clading so I hardly feel I am ruining the atmosphere of the area

Anyone had any experience of this stuff? The quote is £5000 which is a bit steep but if it is going to give me an easy life for a few years then its a price worth paying.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Would getting a normal plasterer to come and re-render the outside be just as effective and cheaper?

Someone also suggested that as this has now caused internal damp then a non permiable solution such as this is a bad idea but what should I do instead?

Cheers

MB

Sponsored Links
not getting the problem sorted outside has caused the problem inside treating the out side with treatexwall will not sort the inside so your gonna need a plasterer so get a price for inside and out cant see it being more than £5000 and you cant beat sand and cement with waterproofer in. ive never heard of treatexwall but i wouldnt trust any of these products theres a new one on the market every other month claiming to be better than the last one, and you try and get them out when it goes pear shaped their gonna blaim the internal problem for starters apart from all there other clauses.

OK that makes sense

I have now had a broken tile on the roof fixed which had been out for some time, silly I know but I didn't associate it with the problem (doh!).

The same guy is coming to check the gutters today and sort out any leaks there.

What is the best way to proceed? I am thinking that I should leave it a while to let things dry out as much as possible and then cut away any blown render and get it filled in, there are a few patches which definitely need doing on the outside and one on the inside.

Obviously the companies I have had out to quote want to re-render a whole side or the whole house and not just patch the walls, because its a bigger job for them and hence they can charge more. Would a more general builder be a better bet to get to do the patching work?

I presume (dangerous I know) that now the source is 'plugged' things should improve. Is there a recommended period to leave a house which has had an issue like this after fixing the problem and before doing restorative work?

Cheers

MB

summers on its way so get a few quotes, a lot of companies will not patch up a rendered wall they would like to solve the problem complete,and no one can put a guarantee on half a rendered wall plus you dont want the other half to fall off once their gone, it is almost impossible to match up to existing render without noticing so i would go for the full wall.

Sponsored Links
OK that makes sense

I have now had a broken tile on the roof fixed which had been out for some time, silly I know but I didn't associate it with the problem (doh!).

The same guy is coming to check the gutters today and sort out any leaks there.

What is the best way to proceed? I am thinking that I should leave it a while to let things dry out as much as possible and then cut away any blown render and get it filled in, there are a few patches which definitely need doing on the outside and one on the inside.

Obviously the companies I have had out to quote want to re-render a whole side or the whole house and not just patch the walls, because its a bigger job for them and hence they can charge more. Would a more general builder be a better bet to get to do the patching work?

I presume (dangerous I know) that now the source is 'plugged' things should improve. Is there a recommended period to leave a house which has had an issue like this after fixing the problem and before doing restorative work?

Cheers

MB

hi did u ever get your render sorted as i have the same problem got the chinmey swept he pushed a roof tile of causing the side of my house to cracked blown as they call it mad as just had the bottom done as i removed a garage so now all the top has gone they say you cant match gutted so now going to cost a fortune :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back