Extending Foundations sideways..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a recommended method to increase the footprint of the foundations our conservatory stands on? I'm thinking digging a trench along side and then creating a strip foundation of the same depth should be ok but should it be tied in to the existing foundation in some way? It will be for a replacement conservatory not a two storey house or anything hugely heavy.

Any advise appreciated, Keith

Sponsored Links
Thanks Shytalkz, but doesn't this require raising the height of the existing foundations or removing part of the floor slab? Neither of which I really want to do...

Ah, well you didn't say that now, did you?!

Why do you want to come inside, are you making the new structure smaller?

How much height above footings is there to play with?

Sponsored Links
I want the new foundation to be outside the existing one but there is a single brick wall and floor slab covering the existing foundation. I don't mind removing the wall but don't fancy digging up the floor slab. Is there a solution? I suppose the problem is that any new foundation might move relative to the old without an overlap.

cheers keith

Where's the slab in relation to the top of the foundation and is it 100 thick?

The slab extends over the top of the existing footings but for a single skin, brick, short wall. So there is only a bricks width between the edge of the slab and the edge of the foundations - if that makes sense. The slab is at least 100mm thick, actually over 200 i reckon.

cheers keith

Excellent, I get the idea, a picture really is worth a thousand words. Many thanks Shytalkz.

It's the Sketchup Meister! :eek:

But can you do a curved tube, with holes cut in it?

Heheh.

I did a raking scaffold on it last night. Kin nightmare, trying to get circular poles one on top of the other at different angles..think I sussed it pretty well though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back