Replacing Single Ceiling Light with Spots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have recently had a small extension built onto the back of the kitchen and had the electrics done by a qualified electrician. The electrician put a light switch into the new room and a single ceiling light. The Mrs has now decided we are having spotlights in the new room to match the kitchen so I need to get a bit of advice before I attempt the job!!

I removed the existing light cover and found the following wiring in place...

http://www.promantraining.com/images/existing_wiring.gif

Can you please advice how I should wire the new spotlights into this circuit. The spots are 50w halogen with block connections for Live and Neutral only. The instructions tell me not to wire an earth as they are double insulated!?

Any advice or even a wiring diagram would be very much appreciated.

My email address if anyone wants to send a diagram is [email protected]

Thanks in advance
Mart

Sponsored Links
yes mart, you should wrap some brown tape around right hand blue cable in first pic as this is the live return from the switch. you can use a few choc boxes to joint the cales but basically wire a two core cable from junction you make at exisiting light then just daisy chain around from light to light you will end up with one cable in last light. so at first light you connect your new two core cable blue to the blue and brown to the blue with the brown tape switched live from switch

obviously at the first light you will have four connector blocks in your choc box, blue with blue of new two core cable, two earths together, two browns together and blue with brown tape with brown of new two core cable

Cheers for the fast reply,

Just for my own peace of mind, all I need to do is basically replace the existing light with the first spot and then daisy chain on from this? Will the very last spot need to return to the first to make a loop or not??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm beeing a bit stupid here so forgive me but why only one cable in the last spot?

Will it be brown or blue in the last spot?

sorry mart went away, one two core cable i mean. all spots two core cable in two core cable out. you know two blue together two brown together with cable from spot in with these also. if spots have blue and brown coming out there will be three blue and brown at each spot

Got you now, thanks for your help.

I will post tomorrow to let you know how it went. If I don't post you know it went very wrong!!!

:confused:

no, I replied to a post that the last post was dated today..

it's not like you evenhad anything usefull to add, just a jestfull comment..

are you ok ? is there something you would like to get off your chest? are you having problems at home ? :cry:

I just spent 15 mins reading through a long dead post and even replied to it before i realised that it was 3 years old and hadn't been resurected for a good reason...

we don't do this for fun and wasting time on long dead posts gets on my "small bird family whos members include Great and blue"..

are you ok ? is there something you would like to get off your chest? are you having problems at home ? :cry:
He asked a civil question asking why you replied to a post which was 3 years old. It was a rational and intelligent question.

Please do him, and all the other readers of this forum, the courtesy of a civil explanation for your behaviour. It would be beneficial for you if it were a rational and intelligent explanation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back