Bricky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to build a small wall and have no bricklaying experience but have seen the gadgets call bricky where you just lay it on the first course ut mortar down then bed the bricks, has anybody this and is it any good

Sponsored Links
I hear they're very good if you have no skill.

"Proper" builders sneer at them.

The bricky relies on you laying the first course plumb and level, and then it is just placed on this to go upwards. It's like wall or floor tiling, if the first row is wrong, then it throws all the subsequent ones out too.

Now, if you have the skill to lay the first course correctly (which is the most important even for tradesmen) then you must have the skill to lay all the other courses

I am a bricky and i my self do not use the tool as it is time limited, but i do use the tool for my labourers they dont want to be brickys bt i do want to save money by employing another bricky. When i have a multi job on site such as walls for gardens ect i set it out and let the boys feed me and keep me running as well as them knocking out a wall. where i was a two and one gang i now work as a one and two gang. i save a fortune and i get a lot for my money by having two labours who can lay brick and block without me worrying are they going to make a *******s of it. Of corse it has its limits but as a self employed builder who now has building labours who actually build is a great bonus for me. By the way the boys love it as they dont have to think about bedding in the bricks. I would only use new factory brick and block because of the standard type of the brick as mentioned by the previous post.

The set is worth it for two tools and that is the line and the perp tool which i do use all the time. The line is a superb idea and i dont understand why no one has thought of it before. All my mates who are brickys have one.

Sponsored Links
Lol, i bought one a few months back when we started the extension. I employed a proper bricky to do that but i knew i'd have bricks left over that i could 'have a play' with and try building a bbq using it.
So far, its made its way into the bathroom where i bridge it across the bath and rest my book on whilst reading in the tub :)

I do think its a good idea though, and even brickys i've spoken to say they can lay many more bricks using this thing in a shorter amount of time. Although they do confess to preferring their manual way.

even brickys i've spoken to say they can lay many more bricks using this thing in a shorter amount of time.

LOL - are they the thin, hungry brickies with kids dressed in rags, and about to go bankrupt?

The only good thing with this is the blarney from the guy selling them. He's a good salesman, if nothing else

So, you've tried it and it doesn't work?

I know all 'pros' will always rubbish a gimmick that helps novices, but why would you intimate that its no good? The video made it look pretty easy and hard to get wrong (assuming you put the base coarse on level).

And surely using this thing you can lay an instant level bed of mortar, all ready for about 5-6 bricks, where pro's tend to go one by one don't they?

Don't get me wrong i've been ribbed big time by my builders, to the extent that they drew a huge pic of me on the breeze wall with the bricky leaning up against it (wish i'd taken a pic of this at the time, lol), but i truly have heard seasoned brickies say its a good gadget.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back