What height should a bathroom basin be from the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above.

I'm going to be fitting a wall hanging basin in my bathroom later this week. I don't have the benefit of a pedestal to give me the height (or even one on my house to check against) so could someone confirm what the standard height is for a hand basin from the floor?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
In the absence of a pedestal to fix the height, it depends how tall the plumber is, as most plumbers seem to fit them at 'waist height' - whatever that is for the individual.

So, it's up to you.

Where does it look right?

where does it feel right?

If it's going on a studwork wall, would moving it a bit mean you can fix it directly to the studwork without messing about fitting noggins?

And will moving it a fraction save you having to poke another hole in the wall for the waste?

etc.

etc.

see if the sink is available with a pedestal, then you should find dimensions online for it - this is what i did when fitting my wall hung sink

Sponsored Links
No pedestal available for the sink so no guidance on that point.

Sink will be fixed directly to a brick wall so no issues with studs or noggins either.

850-900mm is a comfortable working height for a work bench and your pedestal at 31.75 inches is 800mm so i'm guessing that 850mm will be fine. We don't have kids so they'll just be myself and my wife using the sink so a little higher would be more convenient for us.

Thanks for the input.

Measure from the floor to approx your waistline, same for all the rest of the family.
Have you got young kids?
Measure to chest height, so they can get into it.

Throw measurements away & fix it just high enough to dangle your doodahs in the sink.... thats about high enough :D

I've just installed some wall hung Bauhaus bathroom furniture and the instructions stated the height should be 830mm from the finished floor (after tiling) to the top of the basin.

I had asked for some advice about Bauhaus bathroom stuff here but got some stupid responses :rolleyes: , but am pleased to report that all good quality and had decent instructions and advice.

I'm p1ssed of being 6'4" in a world designed for 5'6" midgets! (Can I say that?)

I've built my own bed and computer workstation, fitted a higher than standard loo (Lecico Atlas) and will soon be fitting a counter-top basin at a higher than 'standard' height. My desk at work is on 4 - 4"x3" wooden blocks.

I've even got a decent sized dog (lurcher) so I don't have to bend too far to stroke him.

The kitchen is the missus' domain, so nothing needs changing in there. ;)

I'm now quite taken with the idea of building my own bed!
It's a bit Heath Robinson - 4" x 2" planed timber frame, T & G planks and some 10mm threaded rod, nuts and washers ('borrowed' from work) holding it all together.
The bed is King Size, it's the height that's customized.
Plenty of storage space beneath for my 'hoarded junk' as OH calls it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back