Basic chicken-proof fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to put up a basic fence to keep our six chickens off the lawn and out of the flowerbeds, and contain them in one corner of the garden.

Total length of the fence require is about 6-10 metres and I was planing to use the green arched plastic covered wire you can get in garden centres at a height of 900mm.

Confident DIYer generally, but not done any fence building before. Can anyone enlighten me as to the best way to construct the fence. For example, do I need to concrete in the posts or can I just bury them, should I be linking them together, or just stringing the wire between and securing with staples?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
richie - if your purpose is ONLY to keep the clucks isolated to a patch then just drive stakes into the ground and staple the mesh onto these posts/stakes; unless you've been feeding them with steroids it'll keep them nicely penned-in. Consider using cheaper galvanised 'chicken wire'.

However, this fence will NOT keep Mr Fox out. For this to happen sterner measures need to be taken. No open top, buried mesh, more substantial support structure. Clucks must always be 'put-to-bed' in the evening in a secure hen-house.

how about this one???

dinner.jpg
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Garden centres are much more expensive than fencing merchants. I keep chickens and some can flutter over a small fence. Its surprising how many get lost to foxes, even in the towns.

Sponsored Links
If your chickens are like mine, 900mm won't keep them out. I'm in the country but never lost one to a fox, I lost a few to stoats and mink though.

Not too worried about keeping foxes out. The chickens sleep in a palatial bunker that even Fantastic Mr Fox would struggle with. I only really need to keep them off the lawn and flower beds in the rest of the garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back