Ground Floor Decking question from a not-very-handyman!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a small area (roughly 4 metres by 2 metres) that is between a small garden wall and the house wall. I have filled the area (about 18" in depth) with well packed hardcore / broken bricks and stones etc, and then spread gravel over the top to a depth of around 2". On top of that, I currently have wooden "decking" type squares, each around 1foot square. I want to replace the squares with a decking area, and my question is "Can I simply lay the supporting joists / deck on the gravel?" The hardcore / gravel combination is well packed and shows no sign of subsidence and it is also well drained. Between the hardcore and the gravel, there is a weed supressing membrane. Thanks in advance for any and all replies, however expert they may or may not be!

Sponsored Links
You could but i would recommend sitting the joists on concrete blocks at the ends and the middle(with a piece of roofing felt between) This might seem overkill but you wont get rot from the bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back