can i replace a barrel lock without keys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hI
I LOST MY BACK DOOR KEY THIS MORNING AND ITS THE ONLY ONE WE HAVE. I KNOW THAT TO CHANCE A BARREL LOCK YOU NEED TO USE THE KEY BUT IS THERE ANY WAY OF DOING IT WITH OUT THE KEY AND NOT CALLING A LOCKSMITH AND BEING CHARGED A FEW HUNDRED POUNDS

Sponsored Links
drill the barrel out using an appropriately sized metal drill bit.
the metal is soft and is not difficult to drill,
you will then be able to open the door to access the screws to remove the barrel.
should cost £15 £20 for a new barrel from a decent diy store.

by the way you are typing with your caps lock on. :)

He forgot to mention that when you hit the hardened pins, and break your drill bit inside the cylinder - its not an easy job to drill the drill bit out. He also forgot to tell you that unless you know where to drill it, you'll be there a long time. Next he'll be telling you to snap the cylinder - but he'll forget to tell you how to recognise if it's a break-safe model, that will leave a portion of the cylinder in the mechanism.

Now what he should have told you is that calling a locksmith will not cost you a few hundred pounds, and not even a hundred pounds (unless you're being ripped off) - and they will have the door opened and the cylinder replaced in a fraction of the time you'll waste on the above.

ok.........cant exactly go into detail on how to drill locks!
just trying to help the op out , with hindsight you are quite right. :confused:

Sponsored Links
bump open it .

u can legally buy bump keys of the net.

some people think mentioning this means Ive created a 1000 new burglars overnight, the reality is;

a) criminals are already clued up about all of this

b) locksmiths like to rip people off in their hour of need ( not nice is it )

so I say, just buy what u need to do the job yourself.

u can also buy a pick set online, to pick your own locks, usefull when u lose the keys

its ALL LEGAL, its not a crime to pick a lock.

ps: anyone thinking the above info is at all in any revealing to a would be burglar is indeed living with their head in the sand and in cuckoo land. your average 12 year old scrote will know 100 times more about villanary then your average 65 year old couple. the MORE people know about how they get in, the better people can be prepared to improve their security

IGNORANCE IS NOT BLISS when it comes to security.

ok.........cant exactly go into detail on how to drill locks!
just trying to help the op out , with hindsight you are quite right. :confused:

WHY NOT ?

do u think any potential burlar would need to on this site to find out any such info

have u ever heard of GOOGLE / YAHOO etc etc ?

because there are 1000s of web sites dedicated to picking / drilling / bumping etc etc

anyone thinking stating such details on here is in anyway a revelation to a potential criminal is indeed lving in la la land

OK, I've just read some of your earlier posts, and decided to edit my reply.

There are rogue locksmiths, just as there are rogue plumbers, electricians etc - every trade has them. Obtaining quotes from a number of businesses will obtain a fair price, and going by recommendation will get you an even better service.

Going equipped - ie carrying picks/bump keys will get you arrested unless you have a legit reason for carrying them.

There ARE bump proof cylinders on the market. You'll either pay a fortune for top-end ones, or you can add a substance that prevents bumping (pickbuster) - take a look on www.theinstituteofcertifiedlocksmiths.org for more info.

I hear what you're saying, but you are approaching it the wrong way by promoting the use of bumping, drilling etc. I know it's out there on the net, but do we really have to advertise the fact!.

With regard to your patio doors, I'm not aware of any blanking handles, but you could always fabricate a cover out of pvc, and insert the half cylinder as you mentioned. Bit pointless though, as the door can still be easily bypassed using other methods - destructive I mean. No burglar is going to stand outside bumping/picking/drilling, when they have other (quicker) methods.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back