Converting Conso to Garden Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 5m wide by 3.5m deep conservatory with a slightly pitched polycarb roof. I want to replace this with a fibreglass roof so it is a room we can use all year round.

Basically there is a full breeze block wall on 1 side of the conso with the other 3 sides being glass with double doors in the centre opening out. The block walls the glass sits on are approx 1.5m high from ground level & the whole structure is raised above the back garden.

I have had several local roofers round with nearly all offering conflicting information as to whether or not this can be done.

Only a couple of them seemed concerned that the upvc is not designed for a flat roof because of weight issues.

The most recent guy who came round expressed concerns about how joists would be secured to the upvc structure.

The general consensus is that it can be done but after the last roofers negative take on it, it has put real doubts in my mind.

Can anyone offer me any advice or has any experience of similar projects/structures. I have seen a few garden rooms on the internet that have flat roofs sitting on glass like this:
http://www.conservatories.com/article_garden_room.htm

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back