Concrete footing problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have had a good search of the forums but cant seem to find the answer's I need.

My problem is this,

I am in the process of building a single storey extension, There are a few problems already and not too sure how to get over them. Don't want to embarrass myself in front of the BCO, so thought i would ask on here first.

The problem is this, the footings are mass fill and need to be 2.3m deep, due to nearby conifer trees and that the soil is clay.

I opened a test hole to see the original footings (It's a bungalow) and the results were the DPC is 600mm from the top of original footing, the original footing is 225mm thick and I dug a further 300mm passed the bottom of this. and within minutes the water in the test hole is 70mm below the top of the original footing.

Now my problem is how do i pour footings that are going to be 155mm below the water table???

Now I have no idea how to over come this, any ideas on this matter are so very welcome

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply.

So i just get a pump or two running let the BCO see the footings and then fire in the concrete. will he be happy that the footings are socking wet when poured?

Sorry for the idiot questions.

Oh, where to fire the discharged water? street drain?

thanks

They may ask you to 'prime' the soggy floor of the foundations, prior to pouring the concrete,. This involves mixing some dry ballast and cement and spreading it throughout the trench bottom first, thus absorbing any moisture and subsequently solidifying the trench bottom

I personally think it is a waste of time.

Concrete loves water.

Sponsored Links
I saw on grand designs once that they used a different kind of concrete mix that was specially made for water filled trenches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back