Airbricks at base of new chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a new chimney breast put in which will house a free standing wood burner. The architect has specced airbricks below the DPC ( 450mm/2 for each kW of heat appliance in accordance with Part J :eek:

I do not have a problem having them fitted, just want to know whether I have to have them fitted and if so why they are needed.

Could anyone please advise whether this is required.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
To replace the air used up in combustion, to assist combustion, to assist the gases going up the flue and not back into the room.

it can be an advantage to have a fresh air vent adjacent to the fireplace, so that cold air is sucked in and goes straight up the chimney, rather than causing a cold draught as it flows through the room.

In US they sometimes use brass registers in the floor in front of the fire for this, but they are very rare here. You might see them in stately homes.

Sponsored Links
An air brick can suck air out of the room if placed on the lee side of the building. A plastic 9x6 air brick will provide 20 sq in compared to a terra cotta one of 7.5 sq in.

What is the KW rating of your wood burner ?

the wood burner will be generate between 5 and 8kW, so its a medium size stove. The builder has experience of these I wanted to know where best to site the grill. He will be installing an air brick (2), in the first course of brickwork above the concrete blocks with a flexible duct to be brought up inside the hearth at slab / screed level...
A brass grill set in the base under the burner sounds like a nice way to address this. Either this or a discrete air brick on the side or back face of the hearth would work.

MAny thanks to all :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back