what are 1 and 2 way pull switches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Feel free to facepalm before answering this :)

Replacing a pull switch for shower/extractor in my bathroom. I've killed the power, taken it down, made the diagram, identified from my main fusebox that I need 6A replacement....now I need to know the difference between 1 way and 2 way, so that I can buy the correct pull switch.

Am I right in assuming that:

1 way - wires from ceiling terminate in the pull switch - they don't go back into the ceiling and onto other switches

2 way - wires come in from ceiling, into pull switch COM and L1, and then back out to other switches.

My pull switch has:

Yellow/Green cable earthed to a connector on the back of the plate

Brown cable connected to COM

Blue cable (in brown sheathing) connected to L1

The cables all terminate in this switch, they do not go anywhere else.

Hope that someone can advise!

Thanks in advance

Tapir

edit: the pull switch controls the extractor fan, not sure what else i need to consider for this

Sponsored Links
makes no difference which you have. (for your aplication)

1 way is just that , 2 way can be used as one way or two way. more info is in the "sticky"

2 way switching may also terminate at the switch depending on which wiring method and which end the switch is..
check the WIKI for common wiring methods..

Tapir--your "understanding" is not correct.
One way is a simple on/off switch whilst a two way switch can be interconnected with another on a light controlled from 2 different switches, (eg bedroom wall and overbed pull cord)
A two way switch can be used in a place that a one way would suffice, but not vice versa, so as Breezer says, for your case it is not critical. The price differences are negligible.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice Breezer, ColJack and TonyW2 - one new light switch fixed in place and working, no burnt fingers or house with no power :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back