Fibre screed layed, can i fit kitchen units?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a fibre screed layed (incidently, a rubbish job done, pics here http://gallery.me.com/richard.orton#100117 if your interested, full of holes and defects, not happy and need to speak with the company, but nothing that cant be put right!

Anyway, it was laid on Friday, so am i Ok to start my kitchen install on Wednesday? Its the usual Howdens chipboard affair, on plastic legs.

Thanks

Rich

Sponsored Links
Wot an awful job. Hope you didn't pay them (or did u do it yourself?)

awful is one way of putting it!

No paid yet no, was only done friday, by a quite large local building contractors! will be getting the QS down tomorrow to have a look and give them chance to put right. I presume it can be fixed without breaking it all up??

Am i Ok to fit the kitchen on top of this, the rough bits are not where the kitchen is going

thanks

Personally I always get my floors and walls perfectly flat before I start. It saves a struggle later.

Sponsored Links
good tip, guess am just eager to start,

When i get it sorted, how long would i have to wait? is a few days enough for it to go off before i start fitting. Obviously wouldn't tile the floor for a month or two...

Due to the plastic legs it doesn't really matter. Moisture can't travel up those (obviously).

Yes, but do yourself a favour and get it really flat first.

Why don't you tile the floor first?

It makes more sense to tile first, that is if you are tiling of course.

we thought about tiling, but the other half isnt too keen on the coldness of it.

The people who did the floor are back tomorrow to put it right. how they plan to do this is a mystery till tomorrow. Im presuming some sort of self level compound over the top?

I always though with tiling its better to tile upto the plinths (saves buying tiles to sit under a unit and not be seen?)

Tile the whole thing and have done with it. You never know when you are going to change things around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back