Roof de-mossing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just had a leak repaired in my flashing and the roofer said that it would be worth getting my roof de-mossed as there is a lot of moss up there. He doesn't do it so it's not like he's touting for extra work but is it worth having it done? If left is the moss likely to damage anything or cause problems in the future?

I can get the whole roof chemically treated for £325 which would cause the moss to die then fall off over time or I can get the moss removed by hand and the roof then chemically treated for £475. Chemical treatment alone is cheaper but the moss doesn't come off immediately.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
when we have cleaned moss from roofs in the past, first we would pressure wash, then apply fungicide with a pressure spray.
it looked fine for around 5...6yrs but then the moss, lichen creeps back. :cry:

a longer term solution i have seen on some roofs, is a copper strip fixed along the length of the ridge...apparently when the rain hits the copper it causes a chemical reaction the water runs down roof killing all in its path.

I've heard good things about using copper strips too, it might be worth considering as a preventative measure.

As far as removal is concerned, go with whatever you feel is justified. you could hire yourself some roof ladders and get a scraper to do it yourself. It's time consuming stuff though, me and a mate did a small bungalow/chalet and it was a couple of days work to do it properly.

Hi. To give support re. copper strip. Have a look around your area at other roofs that have metal flashing around dormers , chimney, ridge etc and check out the growth at areas of run off, that is below flashings. I have noticed sheet lead ridge deters growth and copper is even better. Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have been removing moss from roofs for years. I always remove the moss manually with a scraper, then I apply a fungicide. Normally lasts about 5-6 years will take longer for moss re-growth to become proilfic.

You could try a copper strip at the ridge, I did look into this myself but some ready made copper products are quite expensive.

Why not just re-apply the Fungicide in say, 4 years time? you wouldnt need to re-scrape. I normally charge £300-£400 for a moss scrape on a semi inc fungicide. To re-apply fungicide a few years later only £100. Re-applying fungicide bfore moss re-grows is quick and cheap

Dont go for treating the roof without first removing the moss, your gutters will fill up with dead moss falling down the roof for the next few years causing you no end of aggro.

I dont use pressure washers on roofs because I contacted Marley who manufacture roof tiles and they told me it is a method they do not reccomend and will invalidate the guarantee they give on new tiles. The guarantee covers frost damage.

Hope the info and price guide helps

Copper on the ridge stops moss?, that might be why half my roof doesn't have hardly any moss, and half does...
Half the roof has copper flashings at the top and half has been replaced with lead...

I'm going to have a look round the area in a bit and see who has the original 60's copper who has replaced it with lead and how much moss they have...

Will post back if anyone is interested.

I dont care what anyone says, if you have concrete tiles NEVER EVER pressure wash them. All this does is remove the protective laminate from the surface and within a couple of years you will need a new roof. Wire brush the moss of then run a copper wire the length of the ridging. I have been a roofer for 30 years and I have replaced a few tiled roofs that have been pressure washed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back