What type of extractor fan to install in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom has some damp on the wall and I suspect this is due to inadequate ventilation, despite the small window.

There seem to be so many types of extractor fans........
Ones that go in the glass in the window, ones that you install in the exterior wall, ones that lead into the attic....etc etc.
Which one do you think is best suited for a heavily used bathroom with a small window? Anyone had any success with just an airbrick or a cover. I was thinking of paying someone to cut a small hole in my wall. As yet, I have no idea of prices.

Sponsored Links
A 4" FAN INSTALLED INTO THE WALL IS USUALLY MORE THAN OK. IF YOU HAVE IT WIRED TOU YOUR LIGHTS WITH A DELAY ON THE TIMER IT WILL BE FINE
OF COURSE YOU CAN GO OVER THE ODDS AND GET A 6" FAN BUT I WOULDNT BOTHER
AIR BRICK ETC ISNT WORTH PUTTING IN

MATERIALS FOR A 4" FAN WILL BE NO MORE THAN £30 AND ANY DECENT SPARKY WOULD FIT IT FOR £100 SO £130 ALL IN. ALOT CHEAPER THAN REDECORATING EVERY TIME YOU GET MOULD IN YOUR BATHROOM :LOL:

Forgive my stupidity, but just to confirm, a wall extractor fan would require a hole to be made in the wall, all the way to the exterior right? I guess the engineer would use something like a diamond cutter?

Who is the best person for the job? a handyman? an electrician? I guessing not a plumber.

Sponsored Links
EITHER A SPARKY OR A PLUMBER I ALWAYS USE A SPARKY TO DO MINE ON NEW BUILDS DUE TO THE REGS AND ALL THAT CRAP BUT A PLUMBER SHOULD DEFINATELY HAVE A 4" DIAMOND HOLE SAW AS THAT IS THE STANDARD SIZE FOR SOIL PIPES AND BOILER FLUES

EITHER A SPARKY OR A PLUMBER I ALWAYS USE A SPARKY TO DO MINE ON NEW BUILDS DUE TO THE REGS AND ALL THAT CRAP BUT A PLUMBER SHOULD DEFINATELY HAVE A 4" DIAMOND HOLE SAW AS THAT IS THE STANDARD SIZE FOR SOIL PIPES AND BOILER FLUES

Stop SHOUTING! :rolleyes:
capslock.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back