Yet another Shed build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

Ive been reading on here for a few weeks about sheds that people have built and Ive seen some pretty amazing stuff, well... as far as sheds go!

Anyway, I reckon Im convinced that a DIY build is the way forwards, but I have one little dilemma that I need to sort out.

What Im looking to do is replace an existing tiny rotten shed with something a bit bigger and significantly more substantial, so I can store my tools and motorbike(s) in.

The area I have available is a stretch of land down the side of my house that is not used (were detatched) that is about 8-9' between the house wall and the boundary fence. In it, Im looking to build a Pent roofed 10'x7' (ish), with the lower wall being 6'.

My question is this: Does anyone know of any reason i couldnt ditch the wall that meets the exterior house wall, and simply fix the two end walls to the side of the house?

My fear is that maintaining the exterior of that wall will be physically impossible once the shed is erected.

Any advice greatfully recieved.

Sponsored Links
It started life as a shed I could put the tools/bikes in, but Its a valid point that it is essentially a small Lean to garage rather than a modest shed.

do the the hoops I have to "jump" through differ between the two?

It sounds like this may be regarded as rather more than a garden shed; if your building it within 5m of the house or attaching it to the side of your house you may well come under planning regulations & unless it’s open on at least 2 sides, you may also need to comply with Building regs.
You need to read here:
http://www.diydata.com/planning/planregperm/planning_rules.php

& the section on garages & car ports in particular - about ½ way down.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the link! Very useful reading.

Although it would be great to not have to build a 4th wall (im not being lazy, it would just be convenient), I think its clear that it needs to be a stand alone construction and I wont be able to rely on the house forming the 4th wall.

Even then I think Im geting into the grey area as to when does a shed become a garage or vice versa. I think I may need to check this out with the Local Planning office. that and the proximity to the boundary issue, as I need pretty much all the space up to the boundary to get a something that is half way useful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back