My bird aint no bright spark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We split our main bedroom into two for our boy and girl to have their own rooms. I installed new sockets into the dividing wall. I took the opportunity to renew the ones in our new room. My missus with her keen eye was adamant our two sockets were different with a matching socket in the dividing wall of the split room. They were all the same make, type, etc... I went downstairs to enjoy a hard earned bevvy and enjoy Spurs on the box. I was plunged into darkness when the elecy went off: upstairs sockets tripped. Up I trudged to check before I switched on to find a dark shadow in our room. I shone the torch to find my missus rubbing her eyes and holding a basic short screwdriver. My missus decided to attempt to change over the sockets herself, LIVE!

She shorted the L and E rail with the screwdriver shaft and suffered a bit of arc-eye.

Sponsored Links
Well, you should have taught her better, then!

I've taught my partner how to do the dishes, the washing etc and he never makes a mistake with them!
That's what living together in 'harmony' means ;)))

uselessFCUK said:
Spurs on the box. LIVE!

Well that's a real mix of shocking terms - I bet you then blew a fuse too!

An old girlfriends mum decided to shorten the cable on a lamp beside the Tv so she cut it with some scissors, while it was still plugged in and switched on :mrgreen:

You think she'd have thought, bulb on, electricity

Sponsored Links
darren61 said:
An old girlfriends mum decided to shorten the cable on a lamp beside the Tv so she cut it with some scissors, while it was still plugged in and switched on :mrgreen:

You think she'd have thought, bulb on, electricity

That is sheer class!

uselessFCUK said:
We split our main bedroom into two for our boy and girl to have their own rooms. I installed new sockets into the dividing wall. I took the opportunity to renew the ones in our new room. My missus with her keen eye was adamant our two sockets were different with a matching socket in the dividing wall of the split room. They were all the same make, type, etc... I went downstairs to enjoy a hard earned bevvy and enjoy Spurs on the box. I was plunged into darkness when the elecy went off: upstairs sockets tripped. Up I trudged to check before I switched on to find a dark shadow in our room. I shone the torch to find my missus rubbing her eyes and holding a basic short screwdriver. My missus decided to attempt to change over the sockets herself, LIVE!

She shorted the L and E rail with the screwdriver shaft and suffered a bit of arc-eye.

apart from all the laughs and jokes on this subject the fact of the matter is.....she's lucky not to have been killed or seriously injured!
when working on electrical circuits turn the main switch OFF!!!

a brain cell or two might have helped! did she not think electrical socket might have power to it? or perhaps she thought a couple of hundred volts wouldn`t hurt

There's nowt like 240 volt to wake you up in the morning !!
Reminds me of a mate who plugged in a desk lamp so he could see what he was doing in the socket...........(he'd seen me do it, but I'd used an extension from upstairs when working downstairs !)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back