Flat Roof - painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a small flat roof (felt/asphalt - not sure which!) that's quite old (at least 10 years) but hasn't caused me any problems so far - touching wood! I was wondering if it would be a good idea to apply waterproofing paint as a precaution?

I was also wondering if, rather than adding gravel etc (there never has been any) I could add solar reflective paint.

And if both of these are good ideas, is there a paint I could appy that does both (waterproof & solar protection).

BTW the roof is small (6ft square) and is pretty much alway in the shade, even during summer.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I don`t know much about flat roofs but my grandad got me to paint his flat roof about ten years ago with solar reflective paint

the flat roof is over 40yrs old and he reckons he`s never had a problem and swears by the paint he built his house himself in the fifty`s so it could be even older mind you he was a clark of works and a perfectionist so this might contribute to the longevity :cool:

the flat roof is over 40yrs old and he reckons he`s never had a problem and swears by the paint he built his house himself in the fifty`s so it could be even older mind you he was a clark of works and a perfectionist so this might contribute to the longevity :cool:

perishable products do not recognise structural quality unfortunately. but solar reflective paint is a fair alternative to chippings.

there are no miracle products that can prolong the life of a flat roof covering beyond its limits, i think it is more likely to be the location of the roof relative to the weathering side of the property that counts.

and common sense maintenance of course.

perishable products do not recognise structural quality unfortunately. but solar reflective paint is a fair alternative to chippings.

there are no miracle products that can prolong the life of a flat roof covering beyond its limits, i think it is more likely to be the location of the roof relative to the weathering side of the property that counts.

and common sense maintenance of course.

fair comment well observed he was and still is a preventer as opposed to a curer :LOL:

Sponsored Links
as a pro if you want a product that is watertight as does not solar reflective paint over the top then you need to use decothane, Liquid plastics produce this product and it is used in the commercial sector as i am currently completing a job in central london to a new office block with this product. if you did use this one and not the cheap DIY superstore alternative then you would prolong the life of your roof for about another 15 - 25 years depending on which one of there systems you choose. they also have a website so you can see which system the suggest for overlaying a roof like yours. and as a simple tip if you roof is flat and there are no joins visable so it looks like it was all done in ome layer and is black then it is asphalt. if it has joins and the finish resembles little flecs of stone/mineral then you have a mineral finish cap sheet built up felt roofing system. try the liquid plastics website should be a great help and if you need anything else just give me a shout.

If the flat roof is felt and was originaly painted with alu paint, then painting it again may perlong the life. It depends what sort of state it is in.
Reflective paint keeps the sun from drying out the oil in the felt, this is what causes the felt to crack and split. If there are signs of this already, then I doubt that painting it again will do much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back