Opening up a load bearing wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to open up my dining room and lounge.

My house is a two storey 'normal' house built around 1910.

This wall is a load bearing wall (single thickness as far as I can tell) so I understand it will need a RSJ. I am looking to get a frame for a door put in but I am hoping to get the doors made to order by a local carpenter.

What I would appreciate is advice of tips on what else I would need to do to comply with building regs. The opening will be approx 6 foot and there will easily be 2-3 foot either side.

If anyone has an approximation of how much it will cost to do this (create the opening, install the rsj, box in, put in frame and tidy up plaster) i would be grateful as I have no idea what to expect.

Cheers,

Heidi

Sponsored Links
As it’s a structural wall, this work is notifyable to your local Council. It will require a Building Notice submission (fee involved), inspection of the lintel installation & you may need to provide your LABC with calculations (they will advise). If the doors have any glass in them, it must be safety glass. As far as cost is involved, I would advise you call in 3 local jobbing builders & get quotes; make sure you tell them you want them obtain Building Regs approval & make sure you get a certificate of compliance from your LABC.

You will need to submit a Building Notice to the Local Authority or AI. it should be pretty straight forward as it is not a huge opening and I assume its all general domestic loadings.
However Building Regulations also covers means of escape, if the open plan you propose means its worse than before addition costs may be required for further work i.e escape windows, smoke detection etc. I advise you contact your local authority ideally with a basic plan layout to show rooms etc.

Re cost just get some quotes at least 3 quotes and take it from there.

Seems to be an echo in here :LOL: ; still at least you’ve got confirmation! ;)

You will need to submit a Building Notice to the Local Authority or AI. it should be pretty straight forward as it is not a huge opening and I assume its all general domestic loadings.
Whilst there may still be 2-3ft of wall left either side of the span, cutting a 6 ft opening in a load bearing wall is not insignificant :confused: ;
but I would agree it should be fairly straight forward! ;)
However Building Regulations also covers means of escape, if the open plan you propose means its worse than before addition costs may be required for further work i.e escape windows, smoke detection etc. I advise you contact your local authority ideally with a basic plan layout to show rooms etc.
Not sure how putting an opening/door in a wall where there was none before would worsen the means of escape unless something else is changed :confused: ; but your right to mention it. Whilst I agree everyone should have smoke detectors fitted, they are only compulsory on new builds as far as I know; & I believe they must be hard wired & not just battery operated, DIY type.
There’s that echo again! :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
You could use a pre-stressed concrete lintel rather than an rsj and save yourself all the aggravation of infilling the rsj - depending on how neat the builders cutting out for the opening is, he could simply make good to disturbed area's once the door lining is in place.

I assume that you know about under-pinning the wall before someone goes knocking great chunks out of it?

To safeguard your own position it is wise to consult the local building control office. From a cost point of view, it is such a competitive market at the moment that it is difficult to provide an exact figure, but I would say that if you are providing the door and furniture allow around £1500 - £3000 max. You may even get it cheaper but be wary - best value is not about being cheapest.

Regards

Seems to be an echo in here :LOL: ; still at least you’ve got confirmation! ;)

Whilst there may still be 2-3ft of wall left either side of the span, cutting a 6 ft opening in a load bearing wall is not insignificant :confused: ;
but I would agree it should be fairly straight forward! ;)
Not sure how putting an opening/door in a wall where there was none before would worsen the means of escape unless something else is changed :confused: ; but your right to mention it. Whilst I agree everyone should have smoke detectors fitted, they are only compulsory on new builds as far as I know; & I believe they must be hard wired & not just battery operated, DIY type.
There’s that echo again! :LOL: ;)

Dependant on the layout may make it worse than before with open plan, i.e say the living room is open to the stair and the dining room an actual diner/kitchen, by opening up between may compromise the stairs and protected routes etc. Granted in this case it sound unlikely and also if it's only 2 storey provided MOE windows are in place it's unlikely to be an issue, however it's always better to check with building control.

BRegs April 2006 smoke detectors required to extensions at first floor and up also ground floor inner room situations and also are used in certain circumstances with alterations as compensatory features. Yes, they should be hard wired battery back-up etc... :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back