brick lawn edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon.

Im planning to edge my existing lawn with bricks layed on their edge. This edging was already used where the slabbed patio joins the grass and has been down for many years without any issues.

The plan is to run the edging away from the patio and enclose the lawn.The brick will be at the same level as the grass and will be the break between the grass and the flower beds.

My question is how far should I dig down?
should i apply some form of base? or would it be okay to lay on compacted soil?
should the sides be bolstered to help prevent movement?

any assistance would be apprecaited

mucho grassy ass

Sponsored Links
two choices.

you can lay it onto the compacted soil and backfill behind it in teh beds with soil and it will stay pretty much put, with some movement over the years and you will find it easy to take them up if you want to change the beds etc

or you can do a small foundation (about 3-4 inches) and then lay them on in mortar onto that. more permanent

My way may not be 'THE' way but I did this at my last house and it was still solid when I moved 10 years later. I dug a trench about 1.5 bricks depth, stamped the soil down with my wellies on (!), scattered around 2" sand on top, laid the bricks using spirit level & a bit more sand to build up where required. Once complete I filled the gaps with dry mortar and watered with a watering can. They never budged. I'm thinking of doing the same in this house but using pavers instead of bricks. Cutting the grass is so much easier with some kind of edging.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back