Roller shutter over Patio door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a perfectly ordinary sliding patio door, with standard handle on the outside with two fixings.

Problem is I intend to install roller shutters for added security and the handle means that the shutter has to be mounted that much further out to clear the handle.

This means the shutters are going to look a bit ridiculous.

I've been looking for a low profile handle to replace the outside handle with so I'll not need so much clearance.

Does anyone have any suggestions ...please?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear! Have you fallen for John Stalkers TV adverts :rolleyes:

You will save 25mm at best with a lower profile handle - then you will be catching your knuckles on the door.

Have you got your planning permission for these shutters?

Have you checked with your insurers and fire service regarding the increased risk in a fire situation?

I have a similar problem - a door with a roller blind outside and I also need a low profile handle. This time its a hinged door (hingeing in)

Owing to a complete design booboo there is now no handle on the outside

Do such low profile handles exist? Do you have any pointers?

Thanks - JJ

Sponsored Links
I'm embarrassed to say, as we've still not tracked down a suitable recessed handle, the roller shutter is still in the box!

The position with us is that the build is abroad and the builders have already put the shutters up (with no outside handle(s) on those doors with shutters).

I'll pursue my quest to find suitable handles but I'm beginning to think we may have to get some custom made - I have a design in mind that should work when I get the measurements of the clearance

Hi, SNM, I fit roller shutters, and we'd normally pack off to miss the handle, either with timber ie, 3"x2", or steel angle or box section. Paint your packers to match the shutter and they look fine.

Thanks Stu.
Yeah that's what I've done - put 3x2 on edge.

It's just that you end up with the shutter guides looking a bit obtrusive as they sit so much away from the wall.

Still, he'll just have to get used to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back