Condensation in double glazed window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone.

My kitchen window has got bad condensation within the double glazing. Its got so bad I can hardly see through it. I assume I will need a new window pane or possibly even a whole new window frame.

I have tried to show the problem with the enclosed photo's. At first I was told that it was fairly easy to remove the glass so I thought I would be able to simply get a new piece of glass and replace this but I am not sure how to remove it. I was told you just remove the beading(?) but I am not sure if this is correct.Would it be better just to get the whole lot replaced?

Many thanks for any advice.

Carol

(ps the last picture should be turned to the right!)

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
No need to replace the whole window - unless you really want to! The double glazed unit has indeed failed, and it can be accessed by removing the retaining beads from the inside. These can be very difficult to remove, but with careful work with a sharp chisel or similar you should be able to lift up an edge and gently prise it away. Once one is on the move the rest come out fairly easily but try not to damage them! The glass panel may well be stuck in place with double sided foam tape too, and this also needs to be slit away. However, the thickness of the glass envelopes vary, and you must replace with one of the same thickness, or the beads won't go back in. Also the dimensions of the glass need to be the same. A friendly local glazier could sort this for you - he could remove the beads, check the sizes and get you a new one made - without removing the glass pane until refitting time comes. Presumably your window is not of the off-the-shelf type. Cheers John

hard to tell from the pics but it may be the type of window which you remove the rubber gaskets from inside then remove the beading outside.
the glass is then removed from the outside.....

Thanks for the replies gents.

John, I had a go at removing the beading but it doesn't look as though it will come off, the beading continues along the opening window also.

Alastair, there is a rubber seal (which was a bit dodgy anyhow) so I will remove this and try taking the beading out from the outside.

If I get no luck I will call someone in.

Thanks again.

carol

Sponsored Links
Carol - on an appartment we did a couple of years ago we got a local DG Repair Co. out to swap the existing glass (it had a large redundant glass mounted extractor fitted - hence a large round hole) for a new unit. They hooked out the internal rubber seal (I think from either a 'loop' in one corner or from a join elsewhere- and pulled it out of the frame. This introduced slack allowing the external beading to be popped out; the glass followed. The old rubber seal was re-instated, then the new glass followed by the beading which they 'snapped' in for a tight fit. I seem to remember they located the bottom of the bead first then sort of rotated it until it snapped into place.

I have no personal experience of doing this myself but the above is based on what I observed. By the way I think it cost about £120 (supply & fit) for them to come out and measure then return the following day with the new glass. They took the old glass away. Consider getting a quote for a local firm to supply and fit ... I reckon it might not be much more than supply price. It only took them 10mins to remove the old and fit the new.

Looks like you have an Aluminium window set in a hardwood frame, The beading looks as though it's on the outside. There is a special knack to getting the beeding out as there is a slot in the beading which hooks over a ridge in the frame - I had one of these replaced last year. The rubber seal may be part of the beading so don't try to get it out separately - you'll ruin the beading.

Best get a glazing firm in - they will remove the beading temporarily to measure the double glazing unit and get a new one made before taking out the old glass etc.

May be an idea to paint the hardwood frame so water runs off instead of soaking in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back