my lumpy lawn...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

we moved to this house last year and the lawn is very lumpy. visually it looks fine - evenly covered with good grass, but when you walk on it it feels like you are walking on stones/rocks under grass!

ive had a good look and there are no stones, but close up the grass is patchy and in tufts with small areas of exposed soil around a tuft. i think the problem may have arisen where the previous owner has let leaves fall onto the lawn and not cleared them as the soil patches tend to have decomposed leaves on them.

for the last year we have been weekly clearing leaves and raking the grass but its still lumpy underfoot. its bl**dy hard work raking as the lawn is quite large.

what can i do to get the lawn smooth and even to walk on?

Sponsored Links
wont that just flatten the tufts of grass which will then tuft back up again over time? the ground underneath is flat.

Ah with you now,
yes,
I think you'll have to cut them off flush with the soil as they are built up on / around dead stems, it should then grow back as a normal lawn.

Sponsored Links
wont that just flatten the tufts of grass which will then tuft back up again over time? the ground underneath is flat.

Ah with you now,
yes,
I think you'll have to cut them off flush with the soil as they are built up on / around dead stems, it should then grow back as a normal lawn.

Thanks, that sounds like it would work. I dont think our lawnmower will cut that close to the soil. Could you recommend a tool that would be suitable?

tan - rollers should only be used on greens/pitches to maintain their flatness, also rolling has the effect of bruising the grass stems which encourages thick lush growth. This flatness is required for close mowing required for these sporting greens (eg. bowls). Rolling will not effectively cure a "lumpy" lawn, it will only compact the earth; compacted earth is one of biggest enemies of a decent lawn.

Regular cutting and some local remedial snipping should do the trick.

You said: "for the last year we have been weekly clearing leaves and raking the grass but its still lumpy underfoot. its bl**dy hard work raking as the lawn is quite large." Regular leaf clearance is important and yes it is hard to rake a large area, so don't bother raking ... get a leaf blower - brilliant tackle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back