mass planting a banked area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice on what would be best for my bank,
Its roughly 25meters long by 4 meters wide, currently a mixture of grass and weeds, with a few random plants thrown in for good measure.

What plants would be best for it, think roundabouts, where they have big sections of 1 plant, im looking for as maintanance free as possible, dont mind chopping back it every year. and the faster it grows the better. soil is also quite dry also.

Any advice greatly appreciated, been driving about today looking at roundabouts , but i dont know what any of the plants are called.

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
How about having your own 'wild flower meadow' bank?

Ive never planted one myself, but if you could remove the grass and weeds then I guess you will only need to scatter a few packs of wildflower seeds.

I understand they prefer a poorer quality soil so no expensive compost needed. And once they have set seed I think you need to cut it right back or mow it and it will re-grow the following year.

Or you can buy rolls of turf with the plants already growing amongst it, but this is a more expensive option.

Should have said its on a 45degree angle, been out there today and strimmed it all back, not got a problem stripping back to soil, but would really like big clumps of different plants, can anyone name some of the plants local councils use when they do there mass planting in industrial estates, etc.

Cheers again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back