Erecting a 6' Solid Side gate for Semi- Detached House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to put in a 6' privacy garden side gate but am a bit concerned about the storm/gale issues in this part of the country which can be 80 mph and more. The back of the house is facing open land and hills and there is no fencing (besides a flimsy wire fence) around the house as yet. The wind can fairly whip round the side of the house were I intend to put the gate. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
All hinge-side gateposts have a tendency to move due to the one-sided load and movement.

I too live near a coast

Attach the hinge-side gate post to the side of the house. I did that using 10mm galvanised studding, with a large washer and nut recessed into the wall and into the post. It is then unlikely to blow away and will not come loose like a screw might, and you can decorate over it. You could also use coach bolts but they are more expensive.

The other post will have to be in the ground, I put a concrete repair spur into the ground to bolt it to (that makes it easy to replace when it rots). neither of my posts is in contact with the ground so will not rot from the bottom. If you can put a transom or lintel over the top to hold them together you will reduce tilting and strengthen still more against wind

BTW you can get stainless hinges and screws which will not rust and are stronger than brass.

Also fit a cabin-hook to the wall to hold it in the open position without banging in the wind.

A Squire 660 padlock is very resistant to weather (most other padlocks rust and jam). It is the old-fashioned design withg a galvanised case and four brass levers, and you can throw it in a bucket of paraffin or soapy water if it needs cleaning. A galvanised bolt top and bottom will also prevent the gate moving in the wind.

Thank you JohnD I just now have seen your response and it's very much appreciated. I got the delivery of gate, posts etc. just this morning so have plenty time yet to get other items that you suggested.

Thanks Again - and Happy Easter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back