First time fitting guttering? Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly hello all im a newbie, i have been reading the forum for about 6 months now

Im about to install approx a straight 20.5 mtr run of lindab guttering along my property.

The designer has specified two downpipe outlets, one at each end.

Before i start i thought i would ask for some advice as i have never done it before.

Im aware you have to have a slight slant to allow flow, but how do you get a slant running to each down pipe, one being on the left and the other on the right?

thanks

Sponsored Links
hi, fit the first bracket on the centre line of the gutter run as close to the top of the fascia you can.
then another bracket either end of the centre bracket next to the outlets, approx 30mm below the top of the fascia, you should aim for around 2.5mm 3mm per metre to create your run.
you can then attach your string lines to the three brackets.

You need to allow the outlets to be as low as you can without allowing rainwater to cascade over the top.You will find if you allow 2-3 inches up to 75mm below the bottom edge of the roof covering for the outlets,and then find the centre of the span and fix 1no bracket tight up to the under edge of the roof covering.Use a line between the fixed outlet and centre gutter bracket and fix a gutter bracket every metre with at least 2 fixings per bracket.When all of the brackets are fixed cut the gutter to fit between the markings on the gutter joints and outlets.You slot the gutter under the felt,which should not be anymore than to the bottom of the gutter/trim as required.Fix the gutter and clip in from the outer edge,the seal should be tight and will snap in,be firm enough to fix but not too strong to break.When you have your gutter fixed use a bucket of water to check the flow to the outlets and check your joints.

Sponsored Links
http://www.lindab.co.uk/dokumenter/Rainline Fitting Instructions(1).pdf

If you have the gutter as low as 75mm below the tile/slate you'll expose a section of facsia board that will decay very quickly, if it's wood? Only a few mm/M will be more than enough, unless you live somewhere that has a very high rainfall?

Lindab gutter is sold as an enviromental product, but many of their goods are made in China!!! We all know their record on human right & the enviroment eh!!!

Dick ...Sometimes Facia is not used even on plastic.For example adjustable metal fixing brackets /It depends on the circumstances.75mm is just a given maximum depending on the width and type of guttering,not everything is your standard Facia and domestic plastic scenario/ there are many options as advised.There has to be a relationship obviously between the roof covering and the gutter.Which should be as tight up to the covering as possible allowing for a fall.Which can over a long distance take you to a limit.(There are many forms of guttering,many of which do not require Facia,which does not have to be rotting Timber.

Why cant you just use plastic guttering? Designers/architects are great at specifying expensive things for someone else to pay for and it all adds up when they charge their pecentage based fee. Thats just my own personal experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back