Roofing solution for an outdoor walkway/porch??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outdoor covered walkway (could be called a long porch) and some guy pulled off the roof on top due to some misunderstanding... another story, another time...

So basically we need to re-do the darn roof. I've included some pictures of the damage it has taken due to the rain and a sample of the roofing that was torn off (flat roofing... is it called felt roofing?)

What would be the best way to re-roof this? I would have thought that the wooden panels would all have to be ripped off and we just retain the frame. Then put new wooden panels on a slant (so rain can run off). But then, how do we add felt roofing on top? Can someone give me the materials list?? (I think I'll get someone else to do it, but I want to know some knowledge so I don't walk into all this empty-headed).

I would like to have some expertise opinion on the technique and the materials that are best to use on this walkway roof.

Help would be greatly appreciated, THANKS!!

View media item 10099View media item 10100 View media item 10101

Sponsored Links
Is it general consensus that EPDM rubber is the best thing to put on top??

How does it compare to a "paint-on" rubber coating?

What are other people's experiences??

If its the back of the house and you like sitting on the porch maybe a polycarb lean-to with self support bars, may look nice :confused:

Quite a spacing on those beams :eek:

Sponsored Links
OK so EPDM is pretty tough and commonly used and there's guides to show how it's done. Two questions.

1) the edging of epdm looks really complicated. I don't understand how to fit a skirting over the gutter and then use the main sheet to hammer it, drape it over the edge and then flip it back up, etc as mentioned by one site. How reliable is just sticking it down with membrane adhesive and then just folding the edges down with something?? If anyone has a more step-by-step guide, I'd be grateful

2) I've been recommended to use these: "torch-on cap top sheet (green mineral)" and a "torch on glass underlay" from BuildersDepot. These come in pieces and apparently I have to torch them onto 18mm plywood. How good is this method compared to EPDM??

OK so EPDM is pretty tough and commonly used and there's guides to show how it's done. Two questions.

1) the edging of epdm looks really complicated. I don't understand how to fit a skirting over the gutter and then use the main sheet to hammer it, drape it over the edge and then flip it back up, etc as mentioned by one site. How reliable is just sticking it down with membrane adhesive and then just folding the edges down with something?? If anyone has a more step-by-step guide, I'd be grateful
I read http://www.delston.co.uk/diy.htm and it does seem pretty clear what to do on this site
2) I've been recommended to use these: "torch-on cap top sheet (green mineral)" and a "torch on glass underlay" from BuildersDepot. These come in pieces and apparently I have to torch them onto 18mm plywood. How good is this method compared to EPDM??

They come in rolls. Wouldn't recommend them for yourself to fit - you need some experience before giving torching a go, especially if you don't want to burn your house down. Also, this will require you to fix flashing strips into your existing brickwork, which again isn't quite as straightforward as you may think.

Think the rubber is your best bet, or use self adhesive stuff capsheets from wickes - good ideas leaflets are available in store and online and provide clear instructions.

Umm well for a total beginner trying to understand, the Delston site isnt the clearest.. so my questions are:

1) Gutter strip is of EPDM material also?

2) STEP 4 = "EPDM positioned 6" back from gutter edge and tacked to the outside edge of sheet" - if its 6" back, does that mean it's attached to the wood that's JUST behind where the gutter's EPDM strip starts??

3) Another Step 4 question in the picture...

View media item 10165

As always, much indebted to all you patient souls for helping me understand!!

try googling firestone and getting a list of there installers get a price and see if its what you need or find a supplier ask can they show you how to install some do
bob

i would get the roof structure beefed up before applying a new covering!

Dybleah.

Gutterstrip is a strip of EPDM, about 200mm in width, draped down into the gutter then laid back onto the plywood and bonded to it with adhesive.

A second 500mm strip is then laid with its edge against the gutter edge and a batten screwed to the facia/gutter edge, through the EPDM. this is then folded back over the batten and bonded to the ply.

The main sheet is laid with its edge a few mil back from the gutteredge and bonded to the second strip and the rest of the roof.

I never fitted EPDM before but was sent a fitting DvD with my order. Easy peasy. There are other methods though.

looks like toptec's method is different to the one in the picture i posted. They didnt have a second strip - only a gutter and then the main sheet.
I will ask the supplier about a DVD... reading text or having a few pics isn't gonna cut it for something like this.

If I have the stuff, I'll ask again if I don't understand! Thanks though for the help so far

liquid Rubber is easier and faster, but I agree that some more struts would be good. Polycarb roof would look nice too if the roof is not designed for shade. If wood to be replaced, underside will need treating too.

The plywood would need to be treated with something like Cuprinol Clear?? Is one layer good enough?

If there's too many struts, it may look a bit too "prison-like", is there any way to reinforce it with another method??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back