Roofing report -what to expect.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
I'm in the process of buying a property. the Survey threw up a few issues with the roof, ie: a couple of slipped tiles and some light coming in around the chimney. They also mentioned the guttering.

I have been advised to get quotes for the repairs and have called a few roofing contractors. Both have said that they charge a fee to carry out a report on the roof, but that they will refund if I then have any work done by them. This is fair enough I feel as they are not just a free survey service.

What will they be looking at and reporting on? Will they have to erect scaffolding or will the have a look using ladders etc. It's a 2 bed property with ground and first floor, pitched tile roof.

Any replies really appreciated.

Marth.

Sponsored Links
The roofies will do the report and probably tell you that a lot more is actually required.

All thats needed is whats on the survey, the roofer will advise you on anything else if he spots something.

Jesus, why do you need another report when you've just had a survey? Why hasn't the surveyor reported on the roof? :rolleyes:

Here, save your money .... the slipped tiles need refixing, or replacing if the knibs have broken.

The light around the chimney is due to loose flashing which has come away from the chimney. But the issue is, is there any associated water staining from rain penetration?
The flashing can be refixed, but should be checked for remaining life if the property is more than 60 years old.

Basically there is no urgent probelm if there is no water penetration.

Gutters can be seen from the ground. If they are clearly defective or have obvious leaking joints, then they need attention. Otherwise not. You don't need a roofer to tell you that

You should really expect to pay a day, or half day rate for any work on the roof. So whether its one tile or 10 which need refixing, then the labour will be about the same, but the material cost will differ. Same principle for any other work.

No-one is going to know anything about the roof unless they get up there and have a look. Now, your surveyor should be advising on the need to get up there and have a look. And from the details in the OP, the surveyor seems rather clueless, and wants to shirk responsibility.

Sponsored Links
Jesus, why do you need another report when you've just had a survey? Why hasn't the surveyor reported on the roof? :rolleyes:

Here, save your money .... the slipped tiles need refixing, or replacing if the knibs have broken.

The light around the chimney is due to loose flashing which has come away from the chimney. But the issue is, is there any associated water staining from rain penetration?
The flashing can be refixed, but should be checked for remaining life if the property is more than 60 years old.

Basically there is no urgent probelm if there is no water penetration.

Gutters can be seen from the ground. If they are clearly defective or have obvious leaking joints, then they need attention. Otherwise not. You don't need a roofer to tell you that

You should really expect to pay a day, or half day rate for any work on the roof. So whether its one tile or 10 which need refixing, then the labour will be about the same, but the material cost will differ. Same principle for any other work.

No-one is going to know anything about the roof unless they get up there and have a look. Now, your surveyor should be advising on the need to get up there and have a look. And from the details in the OP, the surveyor seems rather clueless, and wants to shirk responsibility.

Hi thanks for your reply. The Surveyor did detail the issues with the roof, and didn't say I needed a futher report. In the part of the survey that stated any action it said "engage the services of a roofing contractor to over haul roof, making the repairs as listed."

The roofers are saying they won't just quote for the repairs as I am buying a property, and they will instead do a report and quote for the work.
I have been quoted between £85 and £150 for this and wanted to know will they actually at least put up ladder's when having a look? Because as you said I don't want to pay for a survey on the roof when I've just had a survey done, if all that will happen is that they look from the ground.

The roofies will do the report and probably tell you that a lot more is actually required.

All thats needed is whats on the survey, the roofer will advise you on anything else if he spots something.

Hi thanks for that. Will they get actually put ladder up and get up on the roof?
All I really want is a quote for the repairs but they don't seem to want to do this, so I don't know whats reasonable to expect or not.

yes their would be a ladder put up to do a survey ...........not a scaffold.
i would also use a roof ladder to gain proper access if required, the general condition of the roof coverings would be ascertained including slates/tiles
lead details to chimneys abutments, ridges and gutters, chimney pots and pointing.
this would be done and any works required would be quoted for in a written estimate, which you should get 3 of.
estimates are generally a free service as well.

yes their would be a ladder put up to do a survey ...........not a scaffold.
i would also use a roof ladder to gain proper access if required, the general condition of the roof coverings would be ascertained including slates/tiles
lead details to chimneys abutments, ridges and gutters, chimney pots and pointing.
this would be done and any works required would be quoted for in a written estimate, which you should get 3 of.
estimates are generally a free service as well.

Many thanks for that.

If you are buying, then another report is not going to be any use if you intend to use it as a bargaining point. Your original report will do this.

If you want costs, then get costs - phone up a roofing firm and ask them how much to replace x number of broken tiles. How much to repoint flashing on a chimney. How much for a day or 1/2 days work. Then you will have an idea of how much the job will cost. Don't say its for a house you are buying, just describe the house - and if they want to have a look, then give them the address. Just ask for a quote for the work, or an estimation of how much similar work will cost

In any case, you would ask for "£1000 reduction in the sale price as my survey has highlighted roof problems" and then negotiate from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back