removing plaster from plaster board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put and few trowel fulls of plaster on a boarded wall and had to rush out the plaster has gone hard and I need to remove and start again as it was not even out. What is the best way to remove the plaster from th eplaster board.

Was thinking a wallpaper steamer ?

Sanding would take forever.

Sponsored Links
It’ll be the devils own job trying to get that off; a steamer wont dissolve the plaster but will probably turn the surrounding board to mush & in all probability the plaster will take the paper face of the plasterboard with it & then it’ll be useless. Replacing the board is probably the easiest & quickest option as noseall suggests.

Sponsored Links
Get yourself an old wood chisel (1" to 11/2") and a wooden mallet and slowly but surely start chiseling into the plaster. It won't be a pretty sight and you will more than likely cause some damage to the plasterboard, but if you go carefully the damage should be minimal (it will look worse than it looks) then once you've removed the worst make good the damaged area before applying a skim coat over the whole area.

Used a small wood chisel to take a little area off then the trowel scraped the rest off. All done. Jobs a gooding. On to the decor now.

Hmmm, good result for you but, if it came off that easily, I would be thinking about how well the plaster was stuck on there in the first place! ;)

Removing skim from plasterboard should be nigh on impossible without destroying the paper. :confused:

rolley.gif
Lecky plane and a fist full of blades
rolley.gif

Hmmm, good result for you but, if it came off that easily, I would be thinking about how well the plaster was stuck on there in the first place! ;)

Correct. Well the reason why I had to rush out was because I got a friend to knock the mix up and he completely messed it up. I put a some on the wall and it fell off and went in my eye. I had to go straight the hospital for a wash out. SO yes it probably would not of stuck. And thats the last time I ask anyone to knock up the mixes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back