Heavy Gates and concrete posts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
I have made an opening in my wall for vehicle access.
Ill be making 2 gates each one 2.5 meters long and 1.7m high out of timber. It's the gate posts that are troubling me.
First i thought 4" blocks laid flat and built up to 2m. but then i got nervous about them cracking with the weight and jarring of the gates.
2nd Im tinking 8"x8" Tanalised posts but i can only get them in 2.4m and I've dug a hole 1m deep to take the posts, the ground is solid slate.
3rd I've just thought about is make a former using blocks and pallets put metal rods in the full length and fill to the brim with concrete and also have horizontal rods fixing the pillar into the existing stone wall.

I'm leaning towards the last one now, anyone tried this and know whats best please? be grateful for any info on the post or hole please. cheers Chaps. m

Sponsored Links
You need to concrete-in a pair of 8" x 4" steel girders into the ground.

Elongated hooks can be welded onto the girders, then the entire steel pillar clad in brick.

The elongated hooks will then be sticking out far enough past to hang the gates on. Make sure your 'eye' hinges are adjustable (threaded).

Hi Noseall,
Cheers for that. Sounds like a great idea. ill pop off to the metal merchants. wonder if ill need to get it galvanised if its all clad in concrete.
ch ch cheeers Matey. m

Sponsored Links
Just a thought ,how about a wheel under each gate to take some of the weight and put less stress on the pillar .

I am sure I have seen this done before .

The whole gate - pillar - brick clad - hinge setup will require some thought.

We usually set the lot out dry, positioning all the elements laid flat on the ground first. One happy that adjustments can be taken up with the hinge thread, measurements for the post holes can be transferred to the actual location, and the holes dug.

Once concreted-in, there will be little movement. Do not be shy with the concrete as all will be relying on bulk from the filled post holes. It is not like a fence post where stability can be gained from the fence elements. A swinging gate can generate a fair bit of force. :eek:

Hi Chaps,
Thanks very mucho for the info and ideas.
Think the wheel sounds good. although im having chippings on the drive so might have to put a steel rail or conrete arc in the ground.
Got a small patio area im hoping to make the gates on, will take me time and be carefull with the hinges and hanging. got me eyes peeled for a girder at the mo.. thanks Chaps.. mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back