Link Detached pitched roof

jrt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Next door are having an extension built and i have posted before about my concerns but have some more :eek:

I live in a 1970's linked detached, linked by a flat roof with an up and over garage door front and back.
It is a row of 4 houses all looking the same.
Next door applied for and got planning permission to build a single story rear extension with pitched roof and garage conversion with flat roof according to the plans.
The builders have started putting a pitched roof on from front to back which means the slope joins my property and has to negotiate around my external chimney breast.
I am concerned that this will lead to water running down my outside wall
What do you think?
How are they going to achieve this?
If it is not shown on the plans can they do this?

My other issue is they have removed my drain pipe gulley pot and not put anything in so just runs onto the ground is this illegal?

Any help would be appreciated as i would like to stop the work as soon as possible if its not allowed.
How do i do this?

Regards

jay

Sponsored Links
The builders will have to flash up against your wall, but no-one can fix anything to your wall without your permission.

Likewise for the downpipe - it's yours and should not be removed.

If the pitch roof is not as per the plan, then inform the planners as this will create more of a terracing effect and may be contrary to local planning policy.

Think hard about what effect this is having on your property, and think about whether you are happy for it to remain, happy for it to remain after you have been compensated, or if its better not to be there at all.

But you should be clarifying this now and asking the neighbour to stop further work until it is sorted out.

If they wont stop when asked, then you may need to get an injunction - either due to not serving a notice under the Party Wall Act, for trespass, or for possible damage to your property.

The removal of the downpipe is actually theft and criminal damage, the Police should get involved if you complain - they wont want to, will try not to, but they will have to

Thanks for the reply Woody

The builders will have to flash up against your wall, but no-one can fix anything to your wall without your permission

The previous flat roof was fixed to my wall but sloped to the back away from my house.I presume they can now fix this roof to my wall but the concern is all the rain water off my main roof and next doors main roof will go into this gully.
If next door do not keep it clean it will fill up and wet my wall.
How are they going to get any fall on it to the back of the house?
There is now no gully pot as they removed this to put the extension over it and well as the foul manhole.

I will get onto Planning and Building control as i am far from happy as it will be not in keeping with the other houses.

Thanks

I presume they can now fix this roof to my wall

No they can't.

They can maintain what is there or remove it, but can not relocate the roof or flashing to any other part of your wall without your permission. It will be a trespass

You will have to find out whether the builders are doing this of their own accord, or if the builders are being instructed by the neighbours. Sometimes, the builder will change things without the homeowner being aware of the implications

But situations like this are not trivial matters, as they will directly affect your property, and can have onerous implications for you or future owners.

IMO, even if you agree to the work, you should have this formally recorded on the deeds and be compensated. Then future obligations and rights are clear.

And if agreeing, then an independent person should be instructed to either design the connection (flashings, fixings, cavity trays etc) or inspect the work afterwards to ensure that it does not adversely affect your property. Don't rely on the builders to do it right

The neighbour should pay all costs and fees

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Woody
Right i spoke to building control he said he will only come out and inspect at the end of the job.
Spoke to planning they said i live in a semi detached already so there is no issue.
The pitched roof,write a letter of complaint but they can just get planning permission for it anyway!

I spoke to the builders (persians) so the conversation was somewhat limited.
They said the client had asked them to change it.
I said it was not on the plans and they said they can make it flat.
The valley gutter will come away from my wall and fall towards the new pitched roof so should not be an issue.
I said what about cleaning it out as neighbour does no maintenance at all.
They said it needs to be kept clear.

Neighbour comes round and does not realise the loss of gullys and extra water running into the new valley an issue.
I said it needs to be kept clear and he does no maintenance so he said he would (likely chance)
I told them to stop work and i would consult my expert so that is where we are up to.

Any advice?
The choice is make it a flat roof again and a pitched roof on the extension.
Or let them make it a valley on the garage.
Thanks

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back