Internal render problem with sharp sand leaving holes

U

User

Hiya I've done some internal rendering using sharp sand (read it's good for damp problems which I had).

But the giant stones in it tear through the render when I float it leaving lines and holes here and there.

I'm interested to know how anyone can use sharp sand in external render where the float must be totally flat I couldn't imagine doing that how dya do it?

Has anyone else skimmed on top of a render with a few holes in it here and there?

I'm hoping the holes will give the skim a good "key"

Anyway since I'm using multi-finish on top I assume the lines and holes won't be a problem is that right?

Pleasey please any help greatly appreciated please

BTW I used rendamix waterproofer/plasticiser in both coats and devilfloated

Sponsored Links
The pins in your devil float might of been set to deep, maybe you let it get a little to dry / firm before you floated,
you have to get over it as soon as you can if your sand has a lot of grit in it and big deep tears you should fill as you float;

Fill the deepest first by scratching a coat over them if they are over 6mm before you start to lay on the rest of the wall,
then let your first coat pull well in so the wet shine goes off but you can still press your fingers in to it, then top coat it,
if they are 10mm or more deep then fill them while you skim another wall, then do that wall next set.
If you fill any and leave till the next day then dab them with your water brush before you skim the wall, any longer than
a day and you should dab then with pva to stop them pulling a dry spot with suction.

Thanks Mr Marshman excellent reply, you're saying the float coat goes on same day as scratch I thought it was next day.

I have finished the current rendering now but I think I might pva the holes then fill em in with some fresh render but I was hoping someone would tell me that leaving a few holes in render isn't that important if you're skimming on top :rolleyes: anyone, please :rolleyes:

Thanks for the excellent advice Mr Man dude

Sponsored Links
(you're saying the float coat goes on same day as scratch I thought it was next day.)
No.

Fill the deepest first by scratching a coat over them if they are over 6mm before you start to lay on the rest of the wall,
I'm talking about your skim / finish plaster, fill the deepest with it first before you start the full wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back