Question about window lintel contruction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed recently when decorating an upstairs bedroom, that the area above the window sounded hollow when tapped. Sure enough, when I came to drill holes for the curtain pole brackets, I started drilling only to find wood beneath the plaster.

My current house was built in 1972 and is a fairly standard 70s-style brick-built house - the house I had previously, which was built in 1977, had concrete lintels which were extremely difficult to drill, so this was not what I was expecting !

Is it possible that this house has steel lintels that need to be boarded somehow with pasterboard internally ? Or is it possible to get wooden lintels ? (these presumably wouldn't sound hollow though !)

When I bought the house, the survey (the intermediate one) stated that there was no evidence of lintels but I got the impression that they probably only had a quick look and were covering themselves against the possibility that there might not be any, rather than the fact that they'd done any detailed studies on the matter.

I was able to fix the curtain pole brackets by screwing into the wood and these held securely enough so I've not got a problem there - I'm just curious to know how my house is built and whether I might run into problems when i get my windows replaced (currently a mixture of single and double-glazed wooden units). A friend of mine who lives in a similar house on the same estate had his windows replaced a while ago and doesn't remember the fitters having any problems.

Any comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have seen quite a few houses with timber lintels, some also built in the 70's by reputable builders.

Doesn't cause a problem for the window installers, as long as the lintels are sound and in good condition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back