Cutting slate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all.
Searched for info in the forum, but no specific questions like this -
Can you cut roof slates with one of those circular saw type ceramic tile cutters?
I'll have a valley on 2 sides of my extension and need to cut them at an angle.
I've read about chopping them lengthways with a trowel but what about diagonally? Plus, it seems a waste.
Thanks.
John

Sponsored Links
you can cut them with a "power" tool, but the edge it leaves will be too smooth to suit the appearance of natural slate.

Best bet will be somthing along the lines of a slate guillotine
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/43351/Hand-Tools/Roofing-Tools/Small-Slate-Guillotine
These give a lovely "natural" finish to the slate edge and are very easy to operate.

edit: after re-reading your post, i`m not sure now if you mean natural slate or a concrete tile. If a concrete tile, cutting vally tiles with a stihl saw is your best bet.

I repeat do not cut your slates with any type of power tool with a cutting blade!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slates must be cut by hand from the back of the slate leaving a chamfered edge which lets water run off the slate cleanly and also ******* the amount of water which can creap up the back of the slate.

By cutting with for an example a grinding disk your rendering your cuts useless and there are many hand tools you can use but i mostly use a slate knife or some call it a slate axe but i also use an Edma hand held slate cutter something which distantly resembles sissors.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.
The guillotine looks an obviously good option.
But, the cheaper one is the Edma cutters.
This roof will be my first and last, and there's not a great many tiles to cut, so whatever I get will be no use when finished.
So, does the Edma mean you need to nibble up to the line, as I don't imagine slate will cut like paper ---- will it? And doing it from the back, does that mean the cut provided by these is then a chamfer?
Thank you. :)

Sponsored Links
doing it from the back, does that mean the cut provided by these is then a chamfer?
:D yes!

use an axe or rigid bit of metal to cut them ;)

Thanks for the replies.
I'll soon look like I know what I'm talking about in the builder's merchants.
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back