Public liability insurance advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps, I have a question relating to taking out a public liability policy.
I have just finished college and gained my C+G level 2 in plumbing.
I have phoned round the plumbing companies in my local area and asked if I can help them out for free so that I can gain some hands on experience. One guy has said I can work for him 2 or 3 days a week as long as I sort out my own public liability insurance. I have gone online to get a quotes and all of the brokers want the name of MY company. Obviously, as I'm not actually trading as a company and am only helping out with another company I can't take out my own insurance. Is there any way that i can get around this as I am very keen to get my hands dirty and I think this is a great opportunity to learn more of the trade.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Mitch.

Sponsored Links
Just make up any old name & start the policy up on that, although you will be working on one of his jobs you will have responsibility for your work, so that bit will be covered on your policy & also if you're a bit careless with the blowlamp then the claim will be against you.
Try www.simplybusiness.co.uk I've just renewed mine for £192 (£2 million cover)

Just make up any old name & start the policy up on that, although you will be working on one of his jobs you will have responsibility for your work, so that bit will be covered on your policy & also if you're a bit careless with the blowlamp then the claim will be against you.
Try www.simplybusiness.co.uk I've just renewed mine for £192 (£2 million cover)

Thats not that good- I got £5M & £5K tools cover for £240 through my scheme and I believe the tools is half of that. I've paid less than £100 for £1M only in the past. OP- google and ring around. avoid the co-op- they're a joke.

Sponsored Links
morocco is obviously cheaper :LOL: :LOL:

who did you use? what are you covered for? gas, electrical? it may help others to get a decent quote

morocco is obviously cheaper :LOL: :LOL:

who did you use? what are you covered for? gas, electrical? it may help others to get a decent quote

Through niceic, morocco division ;) You UK guys are getting ripped'. electrical only, domestic commercial industrial.

good if you do electrical only

best i've had so far £320 for 2 operatives, 5million, gas, elec and allows 10% roof work (flues & Solar) still looking for a better deal!

can't think who with at the moment will look for it

but have used premierline before. i wanted solar cover and they won't cover that part.

Tell your insurance company you use a blowlamp & see how much your PL cover is then. :confused:

I suppose you could always say the roof space spontaneously combusted whilst you where holding the pipe to melt the solder with the heat from your hand. :LOL:

best i've had so far £320 for 2 operatives, 5million, gas, elec and allows 10% roof work (flues & Solar) still looking for a better deal!

can't think who with at the moment will look for it

Oh yes please, let us know.
Best I have had for just me myself and I is just under 500, for 2 mil covering only gas and leccy. :eek:

That excludes quotes from companies like the one in finchley where I could not find an English address.
I know that office space prices in nigeria are lower, but I insist on being able to speak to somebody capable of taking decisions face to face if the brown stuff hits the fan, without having to jump on the plane.

finally got something suitable with Constructaquote.com
underwritten by Fortis
£321.72 for £2M includes gas and electrical, hot work
£47 for legal cover

got very good service from them as well.

i have just renewed my insurance with trade direct. £80 for general builder/roof work (1 person) with no height limit although i had to ask them to change it from 10metre height limit- no extra cost

price includes use of heat with pre conditions (even though i dont use heat).

no electrical work covered (dont need it)

cover is for £1million.

My insurance is for myself only as a sole trader.

hope the info helps

Sponsored Links
Back