soggy lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
got a problem with my lawn, when it rains the lawn gets so wet when you walk on it there's water all around your shoes and it feels very spongey, there are no puddles forming on the lawn as it is quite level, also quite a lot of moss grows in the lawn and every year i put weed,feed & mosskiller down, rake it up, re-seed it where it needs it and by the end of it might look half decent...but then summers over!!!, not alot of traffic on it and i aerate it in march & october, thought about stripping the old turf off, couple tonne sharp sand down, rotovate it all together then lay some new turf, or am i wasting my time and money
open to suggestions and i don't mean put the plastic stuff down!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
you need to find out why the lawn is holding the water. The bad drainage could be many reasons. I assume you did not lay the lawn.
i would dig a part up and see whats under it,
if its a clay soil spiking it with a hollow-tine fork which will remove plugs and leave it for a day or so and then top dress the lawn and fill the holes with a sandy mixture.

there's about 2 foot of soil, no clay, and there's a slight slope on the lawn from front to back (probably 4" fall over 12 metres!), next doors has a tree at the bottom of the garden which casts some shade over the lawn but it still gets some sunshine on it, in the summer the lawn is bone dry and some cracks start to appear in it near the fence, i must spend £100 on the bloody thing every year to try and get it looking smart, done the hollow tine thing but not put any sand down this year as it hasn't done anything the last couple of years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back