Self build extension/garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on building an attatched garage to the side of my house some time in the very near future and was wondering do I have to have buildings regs plans drawn up or can it be done on a building notice? I'm not 100% sure what a building notice entails I'm just assuming it's a series of inspections by the bco at set stages up to completion.
It's going to be the same length as my house (7 meters) and between 4 and 5 meters wide dependent on what the planning dept allow. It will be brick outer leaf with block inner with kingspan or similar cavity insulation and a pitched roof that matches the existing one on the house itself.

I can't afford to throw money at this so that's why I'm self building and would like to save some of the plan costs etc as I have a tight budget to work with.

Sponsored Links
Already perused that. Still doesn't give me any clear laymans answers as to can a self builder build on a note and what are the ins and outs of a building notice.

Sponsored Links
You can do it on a building notice, unless there is a public sewer below or near, in which case you will need full plans

Cheers for that link freddy, I swear I was going blind trawling around that site.

Woody, I've got the utility plans for here as I wanted to know about public drains etc on the property when I bought it and thankfully none are on my land. My own sewer runs out the back of the property towards the house behind mine so no probs with that aswell.

There are also specific exclusions in the regulations as to when building notices cannot be used. These are:

* Where a new building will front onto a private street

Ooh this bit worries me! The garage will be within two meters of a public highway but within my boundary by at least 500cm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back