Rebuilding Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise, i am looking at rebuilding a chimney that was lowered to below the pitch of the roof before i bought my property, i have had differing advise, one said that i needed to rebuild the chimney upto 1.5m high from where it exits the tiles, another recently told me that because it was over 3m in distance from the apex of the roof (in a straight line, not down from the apex) that it only needed to be 0.6m, has anyone with past experience on this subject got some advice? i know it comes down to building Regs but how do i get hold of the info?
Rgds
DIY basher

Sponsored Links
Hi. `The distance the chimney is built out of the roof may vary depending on any openings, roof lights etc and also the type of fuel you wish to burn, gas, oil, coal etc. The building reg's will give minimum requirements. From a practical view, if there are large trees or building that may affect air flow (down draught) the higher the better. Have a look at http://justlead.co.uk/chimney-flashing-items.html there is a video on fitting dpc. during construction. This may give you some food for thought re, construction and weathering. The fact that the chimney was reduced below roof level may suggest damp problems in the past. Good Luck

Thanks for the tip, the video was quite interesting but still doesnt give me the diffinitive answer i will ring around.
Rgds
DIY Basher

If your chimney is over 600mm from the ridge it has to terminate at least 1000mm above the top of a rooflight if within 2300mm of it. If you measure out horizontally from the edge of the roof 2300mm and then take a line at the same angle as the roof the chimney must finish above this line. This means that the further it is from the ridge the taller it needs to be. The maximum height that you can build a stack is 4.5 times its width at the narrowest side, if not square.

Sponsored Links
Stuart
many thanks, will take that information onboard
Rgds
diyasher

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back