Safety rail erection - wood fixing and treating..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am making a safety rail for the steps that lead up to my mothers rear entrance.

I have got wood, cut and of the correct size all round, ready.

I need to attach several posts to the brick wall, then obviously put the wooden rail on the top, etc.

I was wondering what would be the best sort of fixing to use?

I was initially thinking rawl plugs, but are they not rather expensive? I think I will need about 14 of them. Then, I read somewhere about "resin anchors" and using resin and threaded rod instead.

What is the "best" choice?

Another consideration is treating the wood against future rot. I was thinking that since it is a safety/handrail, it would perhaps be a bit dubious to have any sort of preserver where it may have contact with the hands etc. Would it be ok to use varnish perhaps?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, screwfix seem pretty good on the pricing.. Owing to convience needs, I started the job within a few hours of posting that and went to Focus I think it was and picked up the rawl plugs and some fixings similar to those..

I was scalped! How do they justify those high prices? Over double!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back