Decking on my existing patio

if the wood is in contact with the brickwork above the DPC then water will presumably pool ( not the right word I'm sure ) between the wood and the wall..

Sponsored Links
Yeah there are gaps in the wood and we moved our ledger away from the work by 'pegging' it out so that it isn't in direct contact. I was really pleased with the work we did, we are both relatively novice and I feel we've done a really professional job.

Any ideas how much I would've paid someone to do that, out of interest?

Sponsored Links
Thanks that means a lot, we looked at a few of your posts before we started and found them useful.

Cheers for that :)

A quick note on the DPC issue with decking. I've recently been installing decking (not finished yet) and had the idea of using self adhesive flashing tape to seal the the deck above the DPC. My deck is around 1 inch above the DPC so what I have done is used the tape along the ledger board which acts to seal the deck from the face of the brick. As this is bitumen based I then sealed it on with a hot air gun. This was done before the decking board was put down, however, the tape is high enough on the brick face for the decking boards not to breach it. I've also sealed on some flashing to the end grains of some posts in contact with concrete slabs. Nothing will get through these as the bitumen is hot sealed into the end grains.

View media item 11139View media item 11140View media item 11141

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back